Do you love Minecraft? Do you want to take it to the next level? Well that’s where Mods come in. A Mod is when someone adds functionality to Minecraft that wasn’t originally there. Take for example the Mo’ Creatures Mod: it adds all types of new mobs to Minecraft (including Unicorns)! Sound cool? Then how about we get started installing this mod!
What you’ll need:
- The Gui API – This allows the mod to add buttons to the settings area of Minecraft.
- Risugami’s ModLoader – This makes it easier for the person who made to mod to keep it up to date.
- Rosigai’s AudioMod – This adds custom sounds (which will need for the new animals).
- Mo’ Creatures – This adds the new mobs (including Foxes, Horses, and new evil mobs).
- TFC’s ModManager* – This makes installing the mods much easier.
*TFC’s ModManager isn’t required, but if you’re not comfortable directly editing a
.jar file, then I highly recommend you use it. If you would like to do it manually, you can use 7-zip or WinRar to copy the new files into the Minecraft.jar.
Installing the mods:
Okay, so we’re all set. First, you’ll need to run TFC’s ModManager. It’ll ask you to locate Minecraft.exe (it’s usually in your downloads folder). Next, you should see something similar to this:
To install a mod, just click the Add Mod button (the one with the
+ sign) and locate the folder where your mod is. Don’t extract the mods; just leave them in their
.zip format. Add the mods in the order that I have them in the screenshot above. Once you have them all added, click Finished Modding. Now run Minecraft and ensure that everything works. The quickest way to see if it did is to find yourself a horse! If everything went according to plan, then you should be riding horses in no time at all!
This post is the first of a series on Minecraft. In the next post, I’ll show you what other animals this mod includes. If we’re lucky, we might even get to see an Ogre! And remember to show us pictures of you riding your horse in the comments!